Ergonomics matches each element of a working environment to the capabilities of the employee to optimise human performance and maximise comfort.
Sound ergonomic principles can help to:
- Improve efficiency
- Prevent accidents and ill health
- Achieve a more satisfied, productive workforce
Ergonomics considers many aspects of the human workplace interaction, for example:
- The nature of tasks carried out and the demands they make on people
- The equipment used and whether it is appropriate for the task
- The shapes, sizes and weights of things lifted, carried or moved and the capabilities of the people undertaking the tasks
- How information is presented, accessed and manipulated
- The physical environment including lighting, noise, humidity and temperature.